Let’s be honest, employee relations is a tricky subject, encompassing everything from bullying and harassment to appropriately terminating an employee. Some of the statistics on employee relations issues may surprise you as well. Did you know that 48% of employees report that they have experienced abusive behavior at work, and that Human Resource managers spend at least 24% of their time resolving employee relations problems?
While this is a hot topic, not every company has an employee relations specialist. Nor does every company apply its employee relations policies correctly. So how are managers responding, and what’s the impact on the workplace?
- Only 12% of U.S. employers act to eliminate workplace bullying.
- 25 % of workplace bullying cases are not investigated.
- 66% of employees say their direct manager has an impact on their career.
- 48 % of American adults report experiencing abusive behavior at work. Tweet this stat.
- 58.9% of organizations track employee relations matters.
- Give employees 30 days to change before initiating the firing process.
- 42% of companies have intra-office dating policies.
- One-in-four women are sexually harassed at work. Tweet this stat.
- 99% of organizations ban intra-office dating between employees and their supervisors.
- It takes 45 days to get new employees acclimated with their new job.
- Human resource managers spend 24%-60% of their time trying to resolve workplace conflicts. Tweet this stat.
- Almost 60% of human resource managers have seen violent incidents as a result of workplace conflicts.
- 22% of employees are less engaged at work because of workplace conflicts.
- 84% of senior business executives see favoritism in their own companies.
- Workplace bullying costs $250 million annually. Tweet this stat.
- 20% of turnover happens within the first 45 days.
- Out of the 46% of new hires who fail within the first 18 months, 89% was for attitudinal reasons, 11% was for lack of skill.
- 88% of companies plan to give pay raises, the average raise is 4.5%
There are specific ways to handle employee relations issues and staying organized is key. Employee relations solutions, like HR Acuity On-Demand, can keep your company in compliance in order to lower the risk of legal and financial litigation. Take our risk-free assessment to find out how you can better manage employee relations issues within your organization.
Deb Muller is the CEO of HR Acuity, a technology solution that combines documentation, process, and human expertise so organizations can meet the challenge of managing employee relations in the modern world. Be proactive. Manage risk. Create a safer workplace.